Chief Executive Officer
Piedmont Housing Alliance · Charlottesville, VA · Posted on February 13
Piedmont Housing Alliance, a dynamic Charlottesville-based non-profit organization with a 34 year history of creating affordable housing opportunities in Central Virginia, is seeking a highly qualified professional to fill the position of Chief Executive Officer. This is an exceptional opportunity for a skilled and creative leader to work with a strong team to create positive change in our community. The CEO is responsible for the overall management of the organization and reports to the Board of Directors.
Piedmont Housing Alliance’s mission is to create housing opportunities and build community through education, lending, and development. Piedmont Housing offers a unique continuum of services, resources, and properties to address the urgent need for more affordable housing for low and moderate income families in this high-cost housing area. Piedmont Housing Alliance is a HUD-approved Housing Counseling Agency, a state-certified Community Housing Development Agency (CHDO), and a US Treasury-certified Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI). Since 1983, the organization has been a leader in building and managing affordable housing, providing financial education and housing counseling to families struggling to make ends meet, and offering creative financial resources to support asset-building and affordable home ownership. Piedmont Housing has developed affordable rental housing for more than 410 families, provided financial education to more than 4,000 clients, helped more than 870 first-time homebuyers, and provided more than $8.75 million in down payment financing. Our long-term goals include the creation of 1,000 homes for the benefit of low and moderate-income families and the transformational, mixed-income, mixed-use, resident-engaged redevelopment of Friendship Court Apartments. Piedmont Housing has 22 employees and an annual budget of $2 million.
- Provides strong leadership for a dynamic organization involved in a wide variety of activities related to affordable housing.
- Maintains excellent working relationship with Board of Directors.
- Builds and maintains strong working relationships with units of local and state government to advance the mission of Piedmont Housing and provide for its ongoing support.
- Builds and maintains strong working relationships with both for-profit and not-for-profit partners to advance the mission of Piedmont Housing.
- Builds and maintains strong working relationships with foundations, donors and other benefactors of the organization to assure ongoing support of the organization and its mission.
- Leads the planning functions for the organization including strategic planning, program planning and project planning.
- Oversees all aspects of human resource management including but not limited to hiring and termination, developing position descriptions, setting compensation, and communication with employees.
- Assures the financial viability of the organization through budgeting, fundraising and resource allocation.
- Oversees the day-to-day work of the organization and the evaluation of the same through interaction with supervisors and line staff.
- Represents the organization at public events and functions and in the media.
- Develops and maintains relationships with lenders, investors and others to further the work of affordable housing development.
- Manages finance and accounting staff to assure timely completion of financial reports for internal use and for grant reporting purposes and the orderly work of that department.
- Manages property management staff to assure the health and safety of residents and the protection of the company’s affordable housing assets.
- Manages project development staff to assure effective acquisition, preservation, and production of affordable housing.
Experience, Skills, and Qualifications
- Extensive experience in the low-income housing field, including subsidized rent programs (Section 8), low income housing tax credit program (LIHTC), housing and credit counseling, low interest mortgage financing, down payment assistance lending, housing rehabilitation, and other services to ensure access to decent housing for low to moderate income residents.
- Project development experience, particularly in the area of multi-family apartment construction and renovation.
- Fundraising experience for capital projects and/or social service provision.
- Strong understanding of rental, home purchase, and home loan industries.
- Strong working knowledge of non-profit management.
- Exceptional managerial and leadership skills and the ability to teach, train, mentor, evaluate and motivate staff.
- Team building skills necessary to the good functioning of a multi-disciplined, diverse and dynamic organization.
- Demonstrated ability to motivate and hold peers and direct reports accountable to performance measures.
- Ability to work with multiple stakeholders and partners to execute complex projects.
- Knowledge of affordable housing and community development.
- Public relations and fundraising knowledge/experience; able to engage diverse donors, decision makers, clients and investors.
- Strong understanding of grant application processes, complying with funding and certification regulations, and managing budgets.
- Must be able to plan, prioritize, and strategize, multi-task and meet deadlines in a fast paced environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work productively and communicate effectively with fellow staff, supervisor, Board members, clients, state and local government officials, and partner colleagues.
- Good decision making skills, with the ability to analyze information, evaluate results, and implement the best solution to solve problems or challenges.
- Enthusiasm, good attitude, trustworthiness, personal integrity and honesty.
- Self-motivated, with a dedication to keeping up to date technically and applying new knowledge.
- Bachelor’s Degree; Master’s Degree is preferred; minimum of ten (10) years of supervisory experience in a non-profit or for-profit organization; any similar combination of education and experience.
Applicants should send a resume, with cover letter, names and contact information for professional references, and salary history/salary requirements by March 24th to: email@example.com with “Search Committee” in the subject line.
Piedmont Housing Alliance is an Equal Opportunity Employer, Lender, and Housing Organization.