Housing Development Director
Community Development Corporation of Brownsville · Brownsville, TX · Posted on February 10
Reports to: Executive Director Status: Exempt
The Housing Development Director will manage the operations of CDCB’s Development Line of Business and will supervise the housing development project team. Responsibilities include supervision and training of staff, program development, resource development and management of all single family and multifamily housing and community development projects, management of consulting contracts, managing relations with partners, lenders investors, and syndication of low income housing tax credit projects, including presenting status of projects to CDCB’s partners, development committee and Board of Directors. A key element of the Housing Director’s job is the creation and implementation of innovative development solutions to address the housing needs in the Rio Grande Valley and meeting CDCB’s housing production goals of 700 units over the next five years.
The Development Director will be charged with building on CDCB’s track record of success by working alongside the Executive Director, Deputy Director and Board of Directors to further develop the organization’s vision, and achieving its goals for continued financial stability and enhancing the impact of its program and mission. He/she will maintain a balanced culture which combines the richness and relevance of programs with the efficacy of best business practices, fiscal accountability, and institutional impact.
- In partnership with the Executive Director execute the 2017 to 2022 strategic plan.
- Supervise and train project management staff in the development of a variety of housing development projects.
- Direct the operations of the Development Division, including coordinating financial packaging; securing acquisition, predevelopment, construction and permanent financing; supervising architects, consultants, property managers, contractors and other development team members.
- Work with the Executive Director to identify acquisition opportunities, complete development programs, develop project acquisition and funding options, and complete the feasibility analysis of new development projects.
- Negotiate with equity partners on investment terms and conditions in the syndication of low income housing tax credit projects.
- Provide financial and consulting services to other non-profit housing development organizations.
- Coordinate work of the Development team with Asset Management, Fundraising, Compliance, and the Property Management contractor.
- Provide development status reports to the CDCB’s Housing Development Committee and Board of Directors.
- Supervise the Housing Development staff; assure a highly innovative, effective, productive, motivated housing development team, and train, manage and mentor housing development staff.
- Collaborate with key departments and programs to identify and design appropriate housing development strategies to support new and ongoing organizational initiatives.
- Perform other duties as may be required and appropriate to carry out the organization’s mission.
- Passion, imagination, vision, leadership and integrity.
- Five or more years’ experience in low-income housing development, multi-family project development, or related activity, preferably for a non-profit or government agency.
- At least two years of supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated experience with public and private affordable housing funding resources and subsidy programs, including the low income housing tax credit program, tax exempted bonds, and syndication process; ability to creatively combine financing tools to leverage housing funds.
- Effectively handle sensitive situations with complex variables where only limited information exists.
- Ability to work well with others, provide leadership and develop Housing Development staff.
- Ability to recognize and appropriately convey the sensitive nature of any situation and the ability to keep matters appropriately confidential.
- Experience in loan underwriting and analysis of risk.
- High level of expertise in preparing pro-formas and other financial analyses.
- High level of proficiency in sophisticated financial analysis using Excel and with word processing software such as Microsoft Word.
- Bachelor’s degree required in housing development, real estate development, architecture, urban planning, business, finance or a related field; an advanced degree preferred.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Commitment to the mission.
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation/oral and written communication skills.
- A proven ability to interact well with all levels in an organization, Board members, government officials, and community stakeholders, and to work as a productive team member.
- Able to communicate effectively with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Demonstrated ability to make clear presentations to people with a wide range of knowledge levels.
- An ability to compose correspondence and reports, knowledge of proper English, grammar and punctuation and the ability to edit documents is required with knowledge of a variety of written styles and formats.
- Spanish speaker is preferred not required
All interested applicants please send a resume to:
Kristine Saldana: firstname.lastname@example.org
c/o Kristine Saldana
901 E. Levee Street
Brownsville, Texas 78520