Real Estate Development Director
NCALL · Dover, DE · Posted on January 31
Real Estate Development Director
Deadline to Apply
February 28, 2017
About the Position:
NCALL seeks a Real Estate Development Director to lead our housing development program throughout the Delmarva Peninsula. The Real Estate Development Director will be based in the Dover office at 363 Saulsbury Road and is responsible for overseeing and managing NCALL’s affordable housing development efforts, including single-family for-sale and multi-family rental housing development. NCALL also assists other nonprofit housing corporations throughout the Delmarva Peninsula in all areas of the affordable housing development process from concept, identifying a site, building design and approvals, and through construction. NCALL’s mission is to promote affordable housing, improved communities, and sustainable development.
NCALL has played an instrumental role in the development of 55 rental housing and homeownership subdivisions throughout the Delmarva Peninsula since 1976. This includes 13 rental housing complexes developed with low-income housing tax credits (LIHTCs), and two Delaware projects were awarded tax credits in 2015 and 2016. We need someone at the helm with experience with developing affordable rental housing with low-income housing tax credits and other state and federal housing financing such as USDA Rural Development Section 515 and 514/516 programs, HOME, etc. as well as experience with single-family housing development. The Real Estate Development Director will be responsible for launching the real estate development program into a more entrepreneurial and expansive endeavor.
Activities include overseeing and assisting with prospecting for land, lots, and housing deals throughout the tri-state area; moving single-family “for-sale” housing development forward in the Restoring Central Dover revitalization area; developing relationships with existing and prospective non-profit customers; developing relationships with Delaware, Maryland, and Virginia State Housing Departments and Finance Agencies and USDA Rural Development; and developing relationships with professionals (architects, engineers, surveyors, builders, subcontractors, etc.) Activities undertaken are expected to continue a flow of real estate development work for NCALL.
Experience in developing housing with Low-Income Housing Tax Credits is essential for this position. Construction skills would be beneficial. Good mathematics, budgeting and computer skills are required. This position also involves a lot of communication, both written and oral. This position will supervise two Housing Development Specialists and report to the Deputy Director. While this job description describes the typical duties and responsibilities of the position, there will be times when this position will be called on to do other and/or additional tasks for the organization in order to carry out NCALL’s mission.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Carry out the daily operations of the real estate development program as set forth by the Executive Director and Deputy Director.
- Oversee the provision of affordable housing development consulting and TA to nonprofit housing sponsors with the goal of increasing the sponsor’s housing production. Includes project and housing financing application packaging and full real estate development activities.
- Lead activities necessary to fulfill grant and contract goals such as evaluation of housing sites, evaluate options of housing financing, coordination of development team, packaging housing financing applications, obtaining local approvals, meeting with financing agency personnel, monitoring construction and marketing, and resolution of problems.
- Develop and maintain contacts and interact regularly with a variety of professionals (architects, engineers, surveyors, builders, subcontractors, etc.), Delmarva nonprofits, Rural Development, Delaware, Maryland and Virginia Housing Agencies, regional and national organizations, and other housing resources.
- Be experienced with and fully knowledgeable of multi-family and single-family affordable housing development, proformas, low-income housing tax credits, and the financing application processes to develop decent, affordable housing and to assist nonprofits in applying for such financing.
- Oversee requests from nonprofit housing sponsors for housing development expertise in a prompt and helpful manner, and tailor assistance to best address their needs.
- Report monthly on grant/contract activities and housing development progress, and develop any other reports that may be requested by NCALL or a funding source.
- Participate in the development of training modules and manuals, on-line information, and newsletters.
- Position requires occasional evening and overnight travel throughout the Delmarva Peninsula.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of housing development work related experience.
- Bachelor degree in a related field.
- Experience in Microsoft Office software required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong aptitude for mathematics, budget, and economic skills.
- Empathy and understanding for low-income people and the difficulty attaining decent, affordable housing.
- Courteous and business-like manner in dealing with public and co-workers.
Location: This position will be based in our Dover, DE office.
Apply: Please complete the application for employment found online at NCALL’s website and attach your resume by February 28, 2017.